Donkey, tortoise and starfish. Excellent choices. We'll do as many as you like. We can stop with these three or go through the whole list, a few at a time.
The Prayer of the Donkey
O God, who made me
to trudge along the road
always,
to carry heavy loads
always,
and to be beaten
always!
Give me great courage and gentleness.
One day let somebody understand me --
that I may no longer want to weep
because I can never say what I mean
and they make fun of me.
Let me find a juicy thistle --
and make them give me time to pick it.
And, Lord, one day, let me find again
my little brother of the Christmas crib.
Amen.
The Prayer of the Tortoise
A little patience,
O God,
I am coming.
One must take nature as she is!
It was not I who made her!
I do not mean to criticize
this house on my back --
it has its points --
but You must admit, Lord,
it is heavy to carry!
Still,
let us hope that this double enclosure,
my shell and my heart,
will never be quite shut to You.
Amen
The Starfish
Lord,
Your deep has closed over me.
Am I
some small Lucifer
fallen from heaven
and left
to be tormented by the waves?
Look, Lord,
I seem
a star of blood.
I try to remember
my lost royalty
but in vain.
Creeping over the sand,
I spread my star-points wide
and dream, dream, dream....
Lord,
an angel
could root me up
from the bottom of the sea
and set me back
in Your sky.
Oh! One day
could that be?
Amen
The Prayer of the Donkey
O God, who made me
to trudge along the road
always,
to carry heavy loads
always,
and to be beaten
always!
Give me great courage and gentleness.
One day let somebody understand me --
that I may no longer want to weep
because I can never say what I mean
and they make fun of me.
Let me find a juicy thistle --
and make them give me time to pick it.
And, Lord, one day, let me find again
my little brother of the Christmas crib.
Amen.
The Prayer of the Tortoise
A little patience,
O God,
I am coming.
One must take nature as she is!
It was not I who made her!
I do not mean to criticize
this house on my back --
it has its points --
but You must admit, Lord,
it is heavy to carry!
Still,
let us hope that this double enclosure,
my shell and my heart,
will never be quite shut to You.
Amen
The Starfish
Lord,
Your deep has closed over me.
Am I
some small Lucifer
fallen from heaven
and left
to be tormented by the waves?
Look, Lord,
I seem
a star of blood.
I try to remember
my lost royalty
but in vain.
Creeping over the sand,
I spread my star-points wide
and dream, dream, dream....
Lord,
an angel
could root me up
from the bottom of the sea
and set me back
in Your sky.
Oh! One day
could that be?
Amen

1 Comments:
goldfish, monkey, mouse next please
D ~ I love these. love love love them.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home