Thursday, September 28, 2006

Instinct or Intelligence?

One day Cassidy the desert tortoise wandered into the house for a look around. He's very aware of where things are, so any new thing in his range of view attracts his attention. He did a little investigating of a new plant stand, walking around it a number of times, then went over to the cat dish for a snack.

Mr. Kitty had ignored Cassidy up until that point, but he couldn't overlook a tortoise eating his food. He meowed at me, slowly increasing the volume until he was screeching. I don't mind if Cassidy eats the cat food, so I took no action.

Mr. Kitty finally turned and dashed out of the room. I was curious about that, so I followed him. Mr. Kitty ran to where some baby turtles were playing on the floor of my bedroom, in a blocked off area. He positioned himself carefully, then urinated on them.

It was an amazingly naughty thing to do, but was it instinctively naughty or intelligently naughty?

4 Comments:

Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

This made me laugh out loud, and I'm sure I'll chuckle every time I think of it.

Fiendishly clever of Mr. Kitty! First of all, let's take note of the fact that he didn't urinate on you, which he might have done to demonstrate that you should have heeded his plea. He clearly has excellent reasoning powers and would do well on IQ tests because he understood that they were all turtles. He also might be a bigot in that he lumped all turtles together,even though only one of them perfomed an offensive act.

I have concluded over many years that I do not have enough intelligence and/or reasoning power to know for sure why cats do anything. Their logic is an elusive quality, and never quite corresponds with ours.

I definitely vote for intelligently naughty. VERY intelligently naughty. Brilliantly naughty, in fact.
Un-neutered male cats will urinate to claim their territory; that is instinct. But Mr. Kitty was doing it to punish and make a point, and most effectively, too

GREAT POST!! Please thank the little miscreant for me.

10:15 AM  
Blogger d~ said...

I think he's a bit of a bully to go after the little ones like that!

At least he doesn't try to take their lunch money away from them.

12:51 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

He will when he realizes they have some.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jake Allsop said...

In his position, I would have been tempted to do the same thing...

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home