Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sweet Things That Aren't Crap

The back yard was landscaped with turtles in mind. Everything there is for their enjoyment and safety. Any workmen who need to do work out there are escorted back and warned to be careful. I can't have them drop heavy things willy-nilly, not knowing who might be underfoot. A painter was once fired on the spot for leaving the gate open, through which a turtle might escape. The turtles are more important than any repairs.

They eat the plants and insects, bathe in water puddles and bask in the sun or hide in the shade of bushes. Oh yes, they also breed.

The Mama turtle digs down in the ground and lays her clutch of eggs. When the time is right, each baby will use his little egg tooth at the end of his mouth to break through the egg, then crawl up through the dirt to join on on the surface of the earth.

All this is done with no fanfare, so I only know there is a new turtle when I find one. Or two. Like I did today. We have a new Eastern Box turtle, still so young that he still has his egg tooth. And we have a new Ornate Box turtle.

I've brought them indoors, as I do all the babies. They go outside when they're a little older and bigger. When their skins are thicker and their shells sturdier, they're ready to face life on their own.

In the meantime, they need to be named. And I'm taking suggestions. What are some good turtle names?

7 Comments:

Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

How about flower names? Petunia, Forsythia, Dahlia, Bougainvillea, Acacia, Anathema :<)


Or Greek gods and goddesses:

Achilles, Adonis, Balthazar, Cassandra, Helen, Paris (well, maybe not Paris.)

12:29 PM  
Blogger d~ said...

Oh, excellent.

The eastern box is Tulp which is Dutch for tulip. Tulips are my favorite flowers.

The ornate box is Gamera, not a Greek god, but, I believe, some kind of turtle god.

Thank you for your help!

4:09 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

You don't like Anathema? I'm so hurt. :<(

6:57 PM  
Blogger d~ said...

The name itself is anathema to me!

6:59 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

:<)

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the name UMAY, but how is it pronounced?

I am delighted with all the flower names... but shan't contribute further suggestions as my favourite flower is the Pansy. (I think it would be unkind to give that name to a turtle.)

9:20 AM  
Blogger d~ said...

The next one will be Umay! Turtles have brought me lots of luck and happiness.

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. We have Sonoran desert tortoises, an endangered species, that live wild around here, but none of my turtles were wild. I bought the first couple from a pet store and then, suddenly, I was known as "The Turtle Lady" and people would give me turtles they didn't want any more.

I put the turtles in the back yard (it's a large fenced enclosure) and then they started having babies.

What is the Turkish word for turtle?

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home